"Ragtime" Amereke translations
Irrational Number
2008-06-24 12:33:51 UTC
Can anyone point me to where I can find
out what the Hebrew, Italian, and Haitian
lyrics mean? I've been at it for hours on
Google, but the Haitian (Creole) and Hebrew
dictionaries are seriously wanting.

Thanks,
Anita
Irrational Number
2008-06-24 12:42:58 UTC
Post by Irrational Number
Can anyone point me to where I can find
out what the Hebrew, Italian, and Haitian
lyrics mean? I've been at it for hours on
Google, but the Haitian (Creole) and Hebrew
dictionaries are seriously wanting.
(I know these are literal, at the moment.)

I think I got the Italian lyrics:

bel masolino di fior
Beautiful Masolino flowers (or flowers by Masolino)

I think I approximated the Creole:

Gran mesi, Washington, ki ba nou Lamerik
Great thank you, Washington, that (low?) our America

This is what I have for the Hebrew part:

A shtetl iz Amereke, A mekhaye khlebn
A hometown is America, pleasure, believe me

Es rut oyf ir di shkhnele, Mir zoln azoy lebn
It ___ on her the presence of God, Me should thus live

Mil kho mes, biksn, mentshnblut Darfn mir oyf tsores,
___ ___ ghost ____ person blood Must me on trouble

A gubernator darf mennit, A keyser oyf kapores.
governor must _____ ______ on scapegoats.

I seriously need help!

Thanks,
Anita
David Lawver
2008-06-24 13:39:43 UTC
Post by Irrational Number
Post by Irrational Number
[...]
Aren't the Jewish immigrants' lyrics Yiddish rather than Hebrew...
try following up on that thought...
David Lawver ***@charter.net
"Without danger, Mr. Bardolph, there is no theatre." -Peter Shaffer
Irrational Number
2008-06-24 18:04:20 UTC
Post by David Lawver
Aren't the Jewish immigrants' lyrics Yiddish rather than Hebrew...
try following up on that thought...
I've tried that. There are no good Yiddish-English
dictionaries (free) online, either.

-- Anita --
Aaron J. Dinkin
2008-06-26 14:00:58 UTC
Irrational Number
2008-06-26 15:09:33 UTC
Aaron - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Now I can go into rehearsal with more confidence!

-- Anita --
Post by Aaron J. Dinkin
Not Hebrew! Yiddish!
Anyhow, apparently these lyrics are from a 1915 song called "Lebn Zol
Kolumbus" ('Long Live Columbus!'). There's a translation on the sixth
http://www.milkenarchive.org/cds/yiddish_transliterations2.pdf
I'll reproduce it below.
A shtetl iz Amerike, A mekhaye khlebn
America is a shtetl where, I swear, life is great.
Es rut oyf ir di shkhinele, Mir zoln azoy lebn
The Divine rests on her; we should all get to live so.
Milkhomes, biksn, mentshnblut Darfn mir oyf tsores,
Wars, guns, or bloodshed we need like a hole in the head.
A gubernator darf men nit, A keyser oyf kapores.
Who needs an [imperial] ruler? The hell with kings.
-Aaron J. Dinkin
Dr. Whom
m***@yahoo.com
2012-09-10 23:48:55 UTC
l***@herzogs.net
2017-10-25 17:29:29 UTC
That's not Hebrew I speak Hebrew fluently. Try Yiddish.