Wallace Shawn's THREEPENNY OPERA
Newport
2006-04-19 09:32:03 UTC
by JIM BECKERMAN
The new production of "The Threepenny Opera" opens at Studio 54 on
Thursday.
Wallace Shawn, the newest translator thinks his version, at least, has
the right degree of attitude. "Brecht is not at all cute," Shawn says.
"He's a nasty guy."

Translating "Threepenny Opera," one of the touchstones of 20th-century
theater, has become a kind of hobby for literary people since 1954, when
the original off-Broadway production made a hit out of "Mack the Knife."
No fewer than four major translations have been done since then -- each
claiming to more aptly render the cynical flavor of Brecht and Kurt
Weill's 1928 musical satire about the beggars, thieves and prostitutes
of the 19th-century London underworld.

The new version by the Roundabout Theatre features a highly eclectic
gallery of players: pop star Cindi Lauper, Alan Cumming from "Cabaret,"
Broadway veteran Jim Dale, "Saturday Night Live's" Ana Gasteyer and
cross-dresser Brian Charles Rooney (who does a fully frontal nude
scene). It also features a new, punk-chic look that is a cross between
"A Clockwork Orange" and the leather bar in "The Sopranos."

What with intimations of bisexuality, Goth costumes, neon signs that
ascend and descend, a gender-bending coloratura aria and Lauper in a
Bride of Frankenstein hairdo, the lyrics may be the last thing on some
viewers' minds. But there are theater people who grew up with the 1954
cast album with Lotte Lenya, not to mention the hit "Mack the Knifes" of
Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra and Bobby Darin, who will never quite get
used to any other lyrics. Those 1954 lyrics were by Marc Blitzstein,
himself a celebrated theater composer ("The Cradle Will Rock"), and were
considered edgy in their day.

But that day was the 1950s, when the full savagery of "Threepenny" had
to be muted for the McCarthy era. Brecht's play, based on John Gay's
classic 1728 satire "The Beggar's Opera," is a carpet-bombing attack on
the middle class: Brecht's thieves and prostitutes are meant to be the
mirror image of capitalists. "What is the robbing of a bank compared to
the founding of a bank?" Macheath says.

Revivals, including a 1976 Public Theater production with Raul Julia and
a 1989 Broadway version starring Sting, used newer, ruder translations
in an attempt to achieve the "alienation effect" Brecht wanted. Who
wouldn't want to be part of a "Threepenny" revival during the Bush era,
when war and unbridled capitalism are the topics of the hour? No musical
show could possibly be more relevant to 2006, Shawn says. "This is a
time when that kind of anger and nastiness is very appropriate."
Bushwhacker
2006-04-19 16:35:39 UTC
Post by Newport
[...]
I really like Lyle Lovett's version at the end of "Quiz Show." And the
unofficial translation my wife recited from Caterina Valente's German
version.
Eagle
2006-04-19 16:49:53 UTC
Post by Newport
Who
wouldn't want to be part of a "Threepenny" revival during the Bush era,
when war and unbridled capitalism are the topics of the hour?
The Bush era -- when Bush never met a spending bill he didn't like,
when some companies get government favors while others get the shaft --
this is considered an era when unbridled capitalism is a topic of the
hour? Well, maybe to all the conservatives and free marketers who are
up in arms about Bush's government spending and *lack* of interest in
unbridled capitalism.
N***@aol.com
2006-04-19 17:17:50 UTC
Post by Newport
Who
wouldn't want to be part of a "Threepenny" revival during the Bush era,
when war and unbridled capitalism are the topics of the hour?
You've misattributed authorship:

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxNjcmZmdiZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY5MTczNDkmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3

While "unbridled capitalism" may not be an entirely accurate term for
what's going on right now, it's a government which hasn't done much to
help working people and/or those in poverty. "The rich get richer"
(with more and more help from the government) - certainly the sort of
thing Brecht was writing about.

http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm/story/5220
Eagle
2006-04-19 18:14:34 UTC
I knew it was Wallace Shawn. I assumed people reading it would know
that I was picking up on the article Newport was quoting.
Post by N***@aol.com
While "unbridled capitalism" may not be an entirely accurate term for
what's going on right now,
It's completely inaccurate.
Post by N***@aol.com
it's a government which hasn't done much to
help working people and/or those in poverty.
Mostly because government tends to get in the way of the free market,
and then when things don't work out quite as planned, as they usually
don't with government programs and regulations, it's the free market
that gets the blame instead of the government. Lots of people fall for
the misplaced blame, which gets them begging for more of the poison
that they mistakenly think is medicine, and the vicious cycle
continues.
Newport
2006-04-19 23:54:28 UTC
From: ***@yahoo.com (Eagle) I knew it was Wallace Shawn. I
assumed people reading it would know that I was picking up on the
article
-----------------------------------
Just Noel making trouble-- again. At any rate, this production sounds
like an exceptionally desperate attempt to repeat the succcess of the
dismal CABARET revisal. "Let's get 'em all over to Studio 54 for some
more kewl decadence."

O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com
O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O
s***@gmail.com
2006-04-20 03:39:12 UTC
Post by Newport
assumed people reading it would know that I was picking up on the
article
-----------------------------------
Just Noel making trouble-- again. At any rate, this production sounds
like an exceptionally desperate attempt to repeat the succcess of the
dismal CABARET revisal. "Let's get 'em all over to Studio 54 for some
more kewl decadence."
It sounds to me like a production that will either succeed
magnificently or completely belly-flop. The casting, at least, is
intriguing.

Stephen
Mark Cipra
2006-04-20 11:02:30 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Newport
assumed people reading it would know that I was picking up on the
article
-----------------------------------
Just Noel making trouble-- again. At any rate, this production sounds
like an exceptionally desperate attempt to repeat the succcess of the
dismal CABARET revisal. "Let's get 'em all over to Studio 54 for some
more kewl decadence."
It sounds to me like a production that will either succeed
magnificently or completely belly-flop. The casting, at least, is
intriguing.
And I'm looking forward to Shawn's adaptation - I'll certainly give him the
benefit of the doubt. I continue to worry that the production concept is
decadence-for-its-own-sake, but we'll see.
Post by s***@gmail.com
Stephen
--
Mark Cipra
"The History of every major Galactic Civilization tends to pass

Play Indiana Jones! Hide the "ark" in my address to reply by email.
Newport
2006-04-20 11:27:41 UTC
From: ***@sbcglobal.net (Mark=A0Cipra) <<<a production that will
either succeed magnificently or completely belly-flop.>>>
--------------------------------
I continue to worry that the production concept is
decadence-for-its-own-sake, but we'll see.
---------------------------------
Friday. I'm sure some of the "not your grandfather's" crowd will like
it.

O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O
s***@gmail.com
2006-04-21 03:57:04 UTC
Post by Newport
either succeed magnificently or completely belly-flop.>>>
--------------------------------
I continue to worry that the production concept is
decadence-for-its-own-sake, but we'll see.
---------------------------------
Friday. I'm sure some of the "not your grandfather's" crowd will like
it.
Here's Brantley. Not a pan, not a rave:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/21/theater/reviews/21thre.html?ei=5087%0A&en=b35fa0155bafa563&ex=1145678400&pagewanted=all

USA Today is less enthusiastic:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/theater/reviews/2006-04-20-threepenny_x.htm

So is Newsday:
http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/stage/ny-etthree4708991apr21,0,2330767.story?coll=ny-theater-headlines

Stephen
David Lawver
2006-04-21 04:08:01 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/21/theater/reviews/21thre.html?ei=5087%0A&en=b35fa0155bafa563&ex=1145678400&pagewanted=all
"shrill" and "numbing" aren't a pan????
David Lawver ***@facstaff.wisc.edu
"Without danger, Mr. Bardolph, there is no theatre." -Peter Shaffer
s***@gmail.com
2006-04-21 04:30:55 UTC
Post by David Lawver
Post by s***@gmail.com
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/21/theater/reviews/21thre.html?ei=5087%0A&en=b35fa0155bafa563&ex=1145678400&pagewanted=all
"shrill" and "numbing" aren't a pan????
No, I wouldn't call it a "pan" - it's mixed to negative, but not
completely excoriating. A "pan", to me, is a review which is withering
in its condemnation of the production in question.

Stephen
Newport
2006-04-21 09:14:12 UTC
By Brendan Lemon: "As Mr. Peachum, Jim Dale injects a rather anemic
evening with desperately needed life. Only one other moment in this
Roundabout Theatre production matches Dale for excitement: when Cyndi
Lauper, as Jenny, sings Solomon Song. Centre-stage, and attired in a
fluff-collared ensemble that is a welcome break from other, more
S&M-meets-post-punk costumes, Lauper brings her character's hollowed-out
determination into focus. Mac, played rather well by Alan Cumming,
presides over a coked-up underworld, where bisexuality is evident and
pornography is an unremarked part of the decor. Nellie McKay plays his
bride, Polly, promisingly in the first act, wanly later. If there is
nothing shocking about the production's overall concept, chosen by the
director Scott Elliott, there is nothing especially illuminating either.
Wallace Shawn's plethora of four- letter words ultimately does not cut
deep. Instead of reinforcing Brechtian complicity between actors and
audience, the Studio 54 space keeps theatregoers at too comfortable a
remove, and a Threepenny that feels safe is doomed. To deflate the
experience further, the choreography, by Aszure Barton, lacks
inventiveness."
Newport
2006-04-21 08:26:21 UTC
By BEN BRANTLEY: "the shrill, numbing revival of "The Threepenny Opera"
that opened at the theater at Studio 54 last night. Cross-dressed men
and women in writhing sexual pretzels; leather boys and glitter queens
vacuuming up piles of snow with their nostrils; strobe lights, neon
lights and, yes, disco-ball lights. Nobody in the current incarnation of
those days of swine and poses seems to be having any fun. This is one
party where the hangover begins almost as soon as the evening does.

Almost two and a half years after the Roundabout's canny cash cow of a
revival of "Cabaret" closed at Studio 54, the company is again inviting
theatergoers to come to the cabaret, old chum. This time the occasion is
Scott Elliott's production of the 1928 show that made musicals like
"Cabaret" and "Chicago" possible: Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill's
"Threepenny Opera" is the granddaddy of all the singing, stinging
portraits of fat societies on their eves of destruction. But while it
raises the kink quotient even higher than "Cabaret" did, this production
has nothing like the same sustained point of view that might hook and
hypnotize audiences.

With Mr. Elliott overseeing a cast jam-packed with misused talent this
"Threepenny" takes Brecht's notion of the theater of alienation to new
self-defeating extremes. The show's real satiric targets were the middle
classes of poverty-crippled, rudderless Germany in the 1920's. An
immediate, scandalous hit in Europe, "Threepenny" failed to generate the
same frissons when it first arrived in New York in 1933. It wasn't until
the fabled Off Broadway revival at the Theater de Lys in 1954 =97 with
Weill's widow, Lotte Lenya, as the prostitute Jenny =97 that
"Threepenny" achieved popular success in Manhattan.

In this version Macheath's love interests include not only the usual
component of female whores but also their male counterparts. Macheath
again finds himself torn between two brides: the demi-virginal Polly
Peachum and Lucy Brown. But in this case Lucy is a man, who makes a
point of showing the audience exactly what lies beneath his skirt.
Macheath's friendship with Tiger Brown, Lucy's father and the chief of
police, is of the crotch-grabbing, kissing kind.

Isaac Mizrahi created the costumes here, in a smorgasbord of salacious
styles. Most of the clothes, plucked from racks on Derek McLane's naked
it's-only-a-play set, suggest that their wearers have just come from
frolicking in the back room of a leather bar. This includes Macheath,
who trades in the character's usual gentlemanly suit and bowler for a
punkish ensemble and a Mohawk.

The performances are widely varied and as bereft of character-defining
purpose. Everything seems done for isolated shock effect, without any
regard to how one stylistic component might relate to another, so it's
impossible to intuit exactly what society is being skewered. The only
songs delivered at full throttle are those that tell the audience
members how rotten they are. But in presenting Brecht's lowlifes as
exotic, feckless party animals instead of as pseudo-bourgeois
materialists, Mr. Elliott keeps these characters at more of a distance
from us than Brecht surely ever intended.
Steve Newport
2006-04-21 15:13:34 UTC
BY MICHAEL SOMMERS
A misconceived production of "The Threepenny Opera" isn't worth a
plugged nickel -- let alone the hundred bucks-plus prices charged by
Roundabout Theatre Company. Anyone familiar with the Bertolt Brecht-Kurt
Weill music-drama classic is likely to be appalled by the wretched
doings that opened last night at Studio 54. The garish show is phony in
concept, moribund in staging and worst of all, it's rarely entertaining.
Against a hellish background of neon signs and scuzzy orange- black
draperies, hideously garbed in pass=E9 clubland glad-rags by Isaac
Mizrahi, an assembly of not- ungifted actors strike poses, snarl songs,
and spit out Wallace Shawn's ugly, awkward adaptation.
Sporting a Scottish accent, a Mohawk'do and a self-satisfied leer, Alan
Cumming's stab at raffishness proves merely repellent.
Glowing under a cloud of radioactive hair, in a rare instance when the
show really gets down to earth, Cyndi Lauper plaintively intones the
"Solomon Song." Digging into his bag of British music hall bits, Jim
Dale makes a jaunty Peachum.
And who knew ex-"SNL" star Ana Gasteyer possessed such powerful pipes?
Dressed in drag as bitter Lucy, Brian Charles Rooney offers the
full-frontal disclosure expected in shows directed by Elliott. This
cold, counterfeit "Threepenny Opera" is no fun at all.
Harlett O'Dowd
2006-04-21 15:58:08 UTC
Post by Steve Newport
BY MICHAEL SOMMERS
Glowing under a cloud of radioactive hair, in a rare instance when the
show really gets down to earth, Cyndi Lauper plaintively intones the
"Solomon Song."
This seems to be the best-reviewed song of the production.
Post by Steve Newport
This
cold, counterfeit "Threepenny Opera" is no fun at all.
yet RATM alum Matthew Murray raved:

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/world/Threepenny2006.html

I just don't get the concept.

If they're rich enough to snort coke on stage, they're not really
beggars.
Newport
2006-04-21 21:27:23 UTC
Matthew is the only one who raved, as far as I can see. A *lot* of very
negative reviews- especially for the "concept" and design.

O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O
Newport
2006-04-23 09:32:47 UTC
Howard Kissel of The New York Daily News: "Had the original 1928
production been as listless and numbing as the revival Scott Elliott has
directed, the work would have been quickly forgotten. The melodies
themselves are often muffled because the lyrics, in a new translation by
Wallace Shawn, are so clumsy and ill-fitting. Shawn has also made the
spoken text unusually crude."
David Rooney of Variety: "The production is sunk by its one-note
sleaziness and puerile provocation. Given that it clobbers you over the
head with surfaced subtext for nearly three hours, the show should come
with a migraine warning."
Michael Kuchwara of The Associated Press: "Excess seems to be the
hallmark of this lengthy (nearly three hours), misguided production,
with a coarse new translation by Wallace Shawn. If there's a concept for
this scattered production, it seems to have eluded the director and the
performers. The actors seem to be stylistically playing in different
shows. Some, most notably the marvelous Jim Dale, are better than
others."
Elysa Gardner of USA Today: "The ingredients add up to a mess. Elliott
and translator Wallace Shawn try really hard to make Brecht's ferocious
material newly subversive, but their four-letter words and
gender-bending touches merely seem gratuitous and silly. Each character
seems to come from a different city. I counted four different dialects
in the Peachum household alone, two belonging to Ana Gasteyer's
overwrought Mrs. Peachum. The show's brightest spot is Jim Dale's nimble
Mr. Peachum."
-----------------------------------
Linda Winer of Newsday: "an almost-three-hour cavalcade of doggedly
conscientious debauchery and pretend subversion. The much-anticipated
revival feels more like a postdecadence fashion show than Brecht's
unsentimental satire." =A0
Newport
2006-04-25 06:44:50 UTC
Jim Dale got the only OCC nomination.

Newport
2006-04-20 11:24:34 UTC
From: ***@gmail.com
The casting, at least, is intriguing.
------------------------------------
The last time out, with Sting, only Georgia Brown (as Mrs. Peachum) got
raves. The same could happen with Ana Gasteyer.

O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O~O
s***@gmail.com
2006-04-21 02:44:38 UTC
Post by Newport
The casting, at least, is intriguing.
------------------------------------
The last time out, with Sting, only Georgia Brown (as Mrs. Peachum) got
raves. The same could happen with Ana Gasteyer.
I'm not so sure. I've more faith than some, for a start, that Alan
Cumming will be able to pull this off - he's got a *lot* more range
than he's sometimes given credit for over here (I've said this before,
but his Hamlet was the best I've ever seen; I went in expecting very
little, and was *very* surprised). Then there's Cyndi Lauper, a
powerhouse singer and a strong stage presence with at least *some*
acting ability (anyone who managed to be funny in a guest slot on "Mad
About You" has to have something going for them).

Stephen