Remembering MARIE'S CRISIS in the early 70's
t***@optonline.net
2014-01-08 16:32:44 UTC
Mrs. Burgess's husband was openly gay, apparently with her complicity.
All part of that swingin' 70's scene, you dig. But thanks for letting me
know I didn't miss anything.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RETRO MUSIC THEATRE
Championing neglected musicals
and the ethical treatment of animals.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Everyone,
I Googled John Michel while we were having dinner tonight and found all these wonderful messages about the Marie Crisis and John Michel heyday! He was thrilled to read that people fondly remember those days. It has been a while since these messages were created...is anyone still willing to discuss? John is turning 79 this March, is retired and lives in Bloomingburg, NY. He has been wintering in Thailand for 7 or 8 years, but gave up that idea last year. He is still a character, full of life and love. I am proud to call him a friend, and love to watch him light up as he talks about all the wonderful characters you all were, and are. Please get back to me...I may be able to arrange a reunion, John still trecks in to NYC from time to time!! Much love, Terry
t***@optonline.net
2014-01-08 16:34:36 UTC
Hi everyone,
Back in the early 1970's ..(1973-1975 to be exact) I sang and worked
at MARIE'S CRISIS on Grove St. in the West Village. It was a
overwhelmingly happy and enriching period in my life. I'd very much
like to find out how many people on this list might have also frequented
MARIE'S during that time period. and would also remember some of the
people who helped to make it what it was.... AND what may have happened
to them over the years.
John Michelle..the owner
Terry Hammond--the pianist
John Healy--the bar tender
"Billy"
"Tiffany"
"Thor"...the waiter
"Helen Morgan"
Also does anyone remember MARIE BLAKE from the "FIVE OAKS" on Grove
Street?
Many Thanks
(Richard) Stephen Weber
Please read this post:
t***@optonline.net
t***@optonline.net
2014-01-08 16:37:44 UTC
<< Also does anyone remember MARIE BLAKE from the "FIVE OAKS" on Grove
Street? >>
I absolutely remember Marie Blake. She was divine -- as was her famous
rendition of "Rapture" by Debbie Harry. She passed away about five years ago,
but was singing there until just before her death.
j***@gmail.com
I went to Marie's Crisis every weekend from 1972 to about 1976. I remember Terry Hammond at the piano, which was then located under the front windows. John Michel would sing in his wonderful Ethel Merman voice tunes from "Happy Hunting." If straight folk would wander in, we'd tell them not to worry about the lack of girls... they're out parking the cars! Used to go there with friends Ron Davis and Bill English. Great memories of those wonderful days. Now found a similar piano bar in New Hope, Penna., The Raven where Russell Eiffert plays all the songs we used to sing with Terry at Marie's Crisis. Jim
m***@gmail.com
2014-02-18 04:18:35 UTC
I remember John quite well. My name is Melodie and I was a singer that spent many a nite there. I also did some small shows with John. One was called "Oh Mary Don't Ask" a spoof on the Nativity and I played the Virgin Mary. I would love to find out was happened to John.
t***@optonline.net
2015-02-06 23:59:20 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
I remember John quite well. My name is Melodie and I was a singer that spent many a nite there. I also did some small shows with John. One was called "Oh Mary Don't Ask" a spoof on the Nativity and I played the Virgin Mary. I would love to find out was happened to John.
I am a good friend of Miss Michel...send me an email...I'll get right back to you!
***@optonline.net
4***@gmail.com
s***@gmail.com
What every happened to Mark Katz???? I grew up in Marie's Crisis, The 5 Oaks, and the Duplex. I miss all those wonderful nights in the 70's...... Marie Blake I think Monday and Tuesday nights........
r***@gmail.com
2015-08-11 16:34:14 UTC
Hi everyone,
Back in the early 1970's ..(1973-1975 to be exact) I sang and worked
at MARIE'S CRISIS on Grove St. in the West Village. It was a
overwhelmingly happy and enriching period in my life. I'd very much
like to find out how many people on this list might have also frequented
MARIE'S during that time period. and would also remember some of the
people who helped to make it what it was.... AND what may have happened
to them over the years.
John Michelle..the owner
Terry Hammond--the pianist
John Healy--the bar tender
"Billy"
"Tiffany"
"Thor"...the waiter
"Helen Morgan"
Also does anyone remember MARIE BLAKE from the "FIVE OAKS" on Grove
Street?
Jean-Michelle retired to his home in Upstate New York. I don't believe he was the owner - as I've met the owner's son who is there quite a bit - and owns the building. He said that they'd never sell, despite the enormous amount of money they could get for the building. Sadly unlike Rose of Rose's turn. And the Village Gate is now a pharmacy. But, thankfully there are places like SMOKE around.

Best,
Richard (Teddy Bear to the late great Janet Sumner back in the 1980s).