Assassins question - marron in Italian?
Chris
2004-10-02 22:55:11 UTC
Hi everybody,
I'm in Assassins and my friend is playing Zangara. He stumbles onstage in
the opening number, yelling "Marron!" and clutching his belly. I know
marron means chestnut/brown in French, and I think it means chestnut in
Italian too, but is there another meaning, a slang word for a derogatory
remark, perhaps? Or did he just eat a bad chestnut and it's disagreeing with
his tummy?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris
Bill
2004-10-02 23:55:11 UTC
Chris wrote: << I'm in Assassins and my friend is playing Zangara. He
stumbles onstage in the opening number, yelling "Marron!" and clutching
his belly. I know marron means chestnut/brown in French, and I think it
means chestnut in Italian too, but is there another meaning, a slang
word for a derogatory remark, perhaps? Or did he just eat a bad chestnut
and it's disagreeing with his tummy? >>

I assumed he was using an abbreviated version of "Madonna," as we would
use "God" or "Christ" in an extreme situation, such as pain.

Weidman has it spelled "Marron" in the script, but that could just be a
phonetic spelling.

Drumm
Parterrebox
2004-10-03 01:49:06 UTC
"Marron" is an oath -- a Sicilian dialect pronunciation of the word "Madonna."
As Drumm noted, it's similar to the way we might say "Gawd!" or "Jeez!"
=============

parterre box
www.parterre.com
JaSoN
2004-10-04 01:59:35 UTC
I would at this time like to point you towards the Sopranos Dictionary on
the HBO webpage. http://www.hbo.com/sopranos/mobspeak/index.shtml It covers
this. I believe it means, "Mother of Christ" but I could be Oobatz!

A friend of ours: mob shorthand for introducing one made guy to
another made guy. "A friend of mine" is just another jamook on the street.

A trippa di zianata: "your aunt's tripe."

Action: a bet that a bookie "writes" and for which you pay him his
"vig."

Administration: the top-level "management" of an organized crime
Family-the boss, underboss, and consigliere.

Agita: anxiety, edginess, an upset stomach.

Anti-Trust Violations: what authorities call the mob practice of
carving out exclusive territories. Wiseguys call them "mine."

Associate: one who works with mobsters, but hasn't been asked to take
the vow of Omertá; an almost confirmed, or made guy.

The Books: a phrase indicating membership in the Family. If there is a
possibility for promotion, then the books are open. If not, the books are
closed.

Borgata: an organized crime Family.

Boss: the head of the Family who runs the show. He decides who gets
made and who gets whacked. The boss also gets points from all Family
business; also see don, chairman.

Buon' anima: salutation meaning rest his soul.

Buttlegging: bootlegging untaxed cigarettes.

Cafone: a peasant or lower-class.

Capo: the Family member who leads a crew; short for capodecina.

Cazzis: see Stugots.

Che bruta: How ugly you are.

Che peccato: what a pity, what a shame.

Chiacchierone: chatterbox.

Clip: to murder; also whack, hit, pop, burn, put a contract out.

Code of silence: not ratting on your colleagues once you've been
pinched-no longer a strong virtue in organized crime families. Also see
Omertá.

Col tempo la foglia di gelso diventa seta: old Italian saying meaning,
"Time and patience change the mulberry leaf to satin."

Comare (also goomah, goomar, or gomatta): slang for girlfriend or
mistress. No self-respecting wiseguy is without one.

Come heavy: to walk in carrying a loaded gun. You shouldn't have lunch
with a Russian drug dealer unless you "come heavy."

Confirm: to be made; see made guy.

Consigliere: a trusted Family advisor, who is always consulted before
decisions are made. See Tom Hagen in The Godfather.

Crank: speed; in particular, crystal meth.

Crew: the group of soldiers under the capo's command.

Cugine: a young soldier striving to be made.

CW: FBI shorthand for Co-operating Witness.

Don: the head of the Family; see boss.

Eat alone: to keep for one's self; to be greedy.

Executive Game: a special-event card game for celebrities and other
high-rollers.

Facia bruta: ugly face, something you call someone you don't like.

Family: an organized crime clan, like the Genoveses, the Gottis, or
the Sopranos.

Fanook, or Finook: derived from "finocchio" or fennel, a derogatory
term for homsexual or gay, i.e., people that wiseguys feel nervous around. A
"mezzofinook" is half gay, sissy, bi.

Forbidden Fruit: the lure of a wiseguy to a nice Italian girl from the
neighborhood.

G: a grand; a thousand dollars; also see large.

Gabagool: (capo cuoll) something to eat.

Gira diment: going crazy.

Golden Age: The days before RICO.

Goomah (sometimes pronounced "goomar"): a Mafia mistress; also comare.

Guests of the state or Guests of the government: going to prison,
doing time.

Hit: to murder; also see whack.

In the wind: after you leave the Witness protection program you are
"in the wind," meaning you're on your own somewhere out there.

Jamook: idiot, loser, lamebrained, you know, a jamook.

Juice: the interest paid to a loanshark for the loan; also see vig.

Lam: To lay low, go into hiding.

Large: a thousand, a grand, a G.

LCN: FBI talk for la Cosa Nostra, or translated, "Our Thing."

Made guy: an indoctrinated member of the Family. Essentially, you
pledge your allegiance to the boss and the family for life. To even qualify,
your mother has to be Italian.

Madonn': Madonna, common expression meaning holy smoke, holy cow, holy
shit.

Mannagge: going to war with a rival clan or family.

Message job: placing the bullet in someone's body such that a specific
message is sent to that person's crew or family; see through the eye, and
through the mouth.

Mezza morta: half-dead.

The Mob: a single organized crime family; OR all organized crime
families together.

Mobbed up: connected to the mob.

Mobster: one who is in the mob.

Mock execution: to whip someone into shape by frightening the shit out
of them.

Moe Green Special: Getting killed with a shot in the eye, like the
character, Moe Green, in The Godfather. One form of "sending a message."

Mortadella: derived from the Italian sausage, meaning a loser. As in
"Guy's a fuckin' mortadella."

Mulignan (literal translation): eggplant. Another word for
African-Americans. Also called "mooleys."

Musciata: mushy.

OC: FBI talk for Organized Crime.

Omertá: the much-vaunted Mafia vow of silence. In other words, don't
rat on your friends. Transgression is punishable by death.

Oobatz: u'pazzu-crazy.

Outfit: a clan, or family within the Mafia.

Paying tribute: giving the boss a cut of the deal.

Piacere: "Pleasure to meet you."

Pinched: to get caught by the cops.

Points: percent of income; cut.

Poverett: poor person.

Predicates: an offense which the Justice Department can choose to
"fold into" a RICO statute. As in, "This charge could be tough. It could
have predicates."

The Program: The Witness Protection Program.

Pucchiacha: cunt.

Pump and dump: standard practice for unethical stockbrokers. First
drive up the price of a small stock by "encouraging" investors to buy it
("pump") and then sell you own shares ("dump") for a tidy profit.

Puttana: whore.

Rat: one who snitches or squeals after having been pinched.

RICO: Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act. Passed in
1970 to aid the government in clamping down on organized crime activities,
its scope has since been broadened to prosecute insider traders and
anti-abortion protesters.

Schifosa: ugly woman.

Sfogliatelle: an Italian pastry.

Shakedown: to blackmail or try to get money from someone; also to give
someone a scare.

Shy: the interest charged on loans by loansharks.

Shylock business: the business of loansharking.

Soldier: the bottom-level member of an organized crime Family, as in
"foot soldiers."

Spring cleaning: cleaning up, hiding or getting rid of evidence.

Strunz: strunzo-piece of shit.

Stugots: from stu cazzo or u' cazzu, the testicles. Tony Soprano's
boat is The Stugots.

Taste: a percentage of the take. Tony gets a big taste from bookmaking
or racketeering but only a little taste from medical fraud.

Tax: to take a percentage of someone's earnings.

This thing of ours: a mob family, or the entire mob.

Through the eye: a message job through the eye to say "We're watching
you!"

Through the mouth: a message job through the mouth to indicate that
someone WAS a rat.

Tizzun: Neapolitan derogatory term for black person.

Underboss: the second in command to the boss.

Va fa napole: "Go to Naples" (i.e., "Go to hell.").

Vig: the interest paid to a loanshark for the loan. Abbreviation of
vigorish; also see juice. Usually two points or 2%.

Waste management business: euphemism for organized crime.

Wearing it: showing off one's status in the organization by dressing
the part. "Wearing it" usually involves an Italian suit, a pinky ring, a
hankie in the breast pocket, gold cufflinks, and other ornamentation. Silvio
has his own inimitable way of wearing it.

Whack: to murder; also clip, hit, pop, burn, put a contract out.

Wiseguy: a made guy.
Post by Parterrebox
"Marron" is an oath -- a Sicilian dialect pronunciation of the word "Madonna."
As Drumm noted, it's similar to the way we might say "Gawd!" or "Jeez!"
=============
parterre box
www.parterre.com
begin 666 clip_image001.gif
M1TE&.#EA4@`2`+,/`'1T=)65E4E)21T=';:VMFIJ:J"@H*NKJSX^/C,S,XJ*
MBE]?***@H*']_?U145,'!P2'Y! $```\`+ ````!2`!(```3_\ 7PJKTXUZ:T
M_V#X'8@@@@%#G6PK`J:;":MLV_!]T7K/YCZ>Z& C$'JY@"%S6&8"`8NP$GW6
M*H0`\0.H6K);2X/J? `2@#/"***@C')=TH("H\ *E#J;!2 AB``MS`D<9!0,E
M!16!@X4.`P4`!0R$9C$$?G8="@,6D19;/ :*'E,-"5(Q&0->IZE4`X4&*I86
M``-+3@&=#P2Q,UVDI34(-0T#81>L%L5BR!*\%0LF0-!>"H^P&G\("(7;-0,U
MNU[*7N(6Y-!QU*J[1PT"!KL5!@-Z.P`$" L?4PG]8"6SL*P"P'3/Z%E80.',
M0E++.%E(D&!+@R,\"# (.$,8``:%***@JHPG#/%L@*(K5A27#DHR!)4HH=$O3
M0((!?\9\1*#@@ "<Y19!6B%R0J5M*O04A5%HEP,%"@J4J1G@&Y4C32[,NV%@
D****@06BY\10AEH(^S:!&F7<M69=NW/3A9A4OWA($T72Y$```[
`
end

begin 666 clip_image002.gif
M1TE&.#EA( (#`( !`):6EO___R'Y! $```$`+ `````@`@,```([A(^IR^T/
MHYRTVHNSWKS[#X;B2%+!B:;JRK;N"\?R3-?VC>?ZSO?^#PP*A\1BK81,*I?,
*IO,)C4JGRP(`.P``
`
end

begin 666 clip_image004.gif
M1TE&.#EA`0`4`'<`,2'^&E-O9G1W87)E.B!-:6-R;W-***@3V9F:6-E`"'Y
<! $`````+ `````!``$`@ ````$"`P("1 $`.P``
`
end
fmomoon
2004-10-04 05:36:18 UTC
Post by JaSoN
Va fa napole: "Go to Naples" (i.e., "Go to hell.").
Having lived there, redundant. <g>
--
Moni (fmomoon)
"The truth shall set you free; but first you'll be really p*ssed off!" Bill
Cosby
Stephen Farrow
2004-10-04 05:38:00 UTC
Post by fmomoon
Post by JaSoN
Va fa napole: "Go to Naples" (i.e., "Go to hell.").
Having lived there, redundant. <g>
You think Naples is hell? Oh my. Obviously you've never been to the West Midlands. Spend two hours
in Birmingham New Street station on a wet night in January waiting for a delayed train, and then
tell me anywhere on the Mediterranean is hell! <g>
--
Stephen

Is sitting there and drinking soda some kind of a Zen non-answer?
fmomoon
2004-10-04 07:38:49 UTC
Post by Stephen Farrow
Post by Stephen Farrow
tell me anywhere on the Mediterranean is hell! <g>
You probably have a point. :) I've only been a few places in England, but
at least I speak the language (sort of) there, so I don't get confused so
easily. In Naples, they believe in driving very fast anywhere on the
freeway they like. The lane dividers are just a suggestion, mind you. Turn
signals mean that either a) someone hit it by accident or b) they want you
to pass them. Stop signs are for foreigners. The streets are horribly
crowded, the city is dirty and, many times, the people are extremely rude.
The weather in August is enough to make you long for the cool of mere fire.
The Italian I learned before I lived there was of the northern, slower
speaking and more musical dialect (I went there hoping that my art song
Italian would get me started). Naples, where they speak very fast and use a
dialect very different from what I was used to, completely mystified me. I
traveled enough by train in England to know that the train stations seem to
be pretty civil and understandable. In Naples, you clutch your purse in
fear and hope for the best. I learned quickly to swear with the best of
them and look much more imposing than I am. On my last visit (my daughter
was stationed there at that point), I had the good luck to make friends with
her landlord who took me under his wing and, with his family, showed me
another side of Naples which was quite beautiful. It wasn't until much
later that I learned he was the local Don. :) I didn't care. He saw that a
short, red-haired woman with a smattering of Italian was out of her league
and took pity. For that, he had my thanks. Plus, they took me down the
Amalfi coast! Wow!

There is much in Italy I love, just not Naples.
Cosby
Stephen Farrow
2004-10-04 11:03:47 UTC
Post by Stephen Farrow
Post by Stephen Farrow
Post by Stephen Farrow
tell me anywhere on the Mediterranean is hell! <g>
You probably have a point. :) I've only been a few places in England, but
at least I speak the language (sort of) there, so I don't get confused so
easily.
You might get confused in Birmingham - the Brummie accent is *horrible*. It's pretty much the
ugliest of Britain's regional accents (though to be fair Glaswegian and Geordie are more
impenetrable).
Post by Stephen Farrow
In Naples, they believe in driving very fast anywhere on the
freeway they like. The lane dividers are just a suggestion, mind you. Turn
signals mean that either a) someone hit it by accident or b) they want you
to pass them. Stop signs are for foreigners.
Yes - southern Europe is full of places where drivers see stop signs and pedestrian crossings as a
challenge rather than an instruction.
Post by Stephen Farrow
The streets are horribly
crowded, the city is dirty and, many times, the people are extremely rude.
The weather in August is enough to make you long for the cool of mere fire.
The Italian I learned before I lived there was of the northern, slower
speaking and more musical dialect (I went there hoping that my art song
Italian would get me started). Naples, where they speak very fast and use a
dialect very different from what I was used to, completely mystified me.
Not a problem I had - but then I don't speak Italian at all, so that makes no difference to me. It's
just another place in Europe where I need to keep a very well-thumbed phrase book (which, for me, is
basically everywhere outside France and Spain). Though I always, wherever I go, make an attempt to
get by in the local language as much as possible, however little of it I know (I've joked before
that in a pinch you can get by in any language with ten words - the numbers from one to five, and
please, thank-you, yes, no and toilet).
Post by Stephen Farrow
traveled enough by train in England to know that the train stations seem to
be pretty civil and understandable.
Probably true compared to some places (rail travel in the UK is certainly an easier experience than
rail travel in the USA, for a start), but less true now than it was ten years ago, thanks to the
colossal clusterf*ck that *is* the privatized railway system. The stations themselves aren't too
bad, usually, though there are a couple I use fairly regularly when I'm home that are, shall we say,
less than delightful - but then Oldham Mumps, the closest station to my mother's house, isn't
somewhere you'd be likely to find yourself as a visitor to Britain, and neither are Loughborough
Junction or Brixton in south London. The *real* nightmare is the ticketing system, which becomes
very, very difficult to negotiate as soon as you start trying to make any journey involving the
services of more than one train operating company.
Post by Stephen Farrow
In Naples, you clutch your purse in
fear and hope for the best. I learned quickly to swear with the best of
them and look much more imposing than I am. On my last visit (my daughter
was stationed there at that point), I had the good luck to make friends with
her landlord who took me under his wing and, with his family, showed me
another side of Naples which was quite beautiful. It wasn't until much
later that I learned he was the local Don. :) I didn't care. He saw that a
short, red-haired woman with a smattering of Italian was out of her league
and took pity. For that, he had my thanks. Plus, they took me down the
Amalfi coast! Wow!
See, that's why Naples *can't* be synonymous with hell. It's close to the Amalfi coast, which is
gorgeous.

Birmingham, on the other hand, is close to Wolverhampton, Walsall and Coventry.
--
Stephen

Did you try looking inside the sofa in hell?
fmomoon
2004-10-05 00:45:06 UTC